*



Sung Wong Toi Garden  
Junction of Sung Wong Toi Road and Ma Tau Chung Road, Kowloon City


Characteristics:
Located at the junction of Sung Wong Toi Road and Ma Tau Chung Road, Sung Wong Toi Garden is a park of extremely high historical value in Kowloon City. According to past records, at the end of the Sung Dynasty (1276 AD), two Sung emperors, pursued by the Mongolian army, came all the way south and took refuge at the "Sacred Hill" along the seashore. After the Sung Dynasty was overthrown by the Mongolian army in 1279 AD, people inscribed the words "Sung Wong Toi" on the huge rock of the "Sacred Hill".

In 1941, the Japanese army occupied Hong Kong. To expand the Kai Tak Airport, they blew up the rocks of the "Sacred Hill" for construction works. It was quite fortunate that the rock inscribed with the words "Sung Wong Toi" could remain intact. In 1945, Hong Kong was liberated. For the preservation of historical heritage, the government built the "Sung Wong Toi Garden" west of the original location on the "Sacred Hill" and cut the massive rock into a rectangular block. The rock was then moved into the garden when its construction work completed in the winter of the same year.

Back to category